Monday, January 4, 2010

Love at first sight.

Is it bad that my first baby blog post was about me?

I thought it was, so I decided to make my second post baby related. This will be, sort of, an introduction.

I got my BFP on March 10, 2009. I was completely shocked and surprised. Most of all, scared. Brian and I weren't planning on having a baby quite so soon, but we were excited! Since I was not planning to get pregnant, I had no idea what was in store for me, so I went out and bought the bible (aka. What to Expect...) I knew pregnancy lasted for 9 months, but seeing that "40 weeks" written out just made it seem like an eternity. I was going to be pregnant for 40 weeks?!

But, the weeks went by and it became more real. I was going to be someone's mother in just a few short months. We changed our whole lives in those months. We moved, from our loft in the city, to a townhouse in the suburbs. Instead of a spending our Saturdays hungover from the night before, we were up at 9:00 am and headed to Babies R Us. I sold my 2 door hatchback and bought an SUV. Our second bedroom was not for guests, but for this tiny baby that was growing, ever-so-quickly, inside of me.

From the beginning, I just had this feeling that she was going to be a girl. Brian tried to warn me that his sister was the first girl, on his father's side, in over 100 years. In other words, he was skeptical that we would ever have a girl, let alone having a girl the first time. Still, I was 100% sure that she was a girl. At our 20 week ultrasound, it was confirmed that she was, in fact, a girl. We were thrilled! Brian had always imagined having a Daddy's girl. We knew, before we even knew that sex, that if we had a girl we wanted to name her Evelyn. Evie for short. We just thought Evie was the cutest name for a little girl and Evelyn was very pretty for an adult. Although, she will probably never go by Evelyn in this house.

And so, the weeks flew by, and before I knew it, 40 weeks was here...and I had no baby. I went to my OB appointment on my due date, only to be told that I was barely dilated. I bawled the whole way home and was preparing myself to be pregnant for at least another week. I got home, took a nap, got up and took a shower. After the shower, I was drying my hair, and felt a big gush of fluid. I didn't think that it could be my water breaking, but every time I walked more came out. After I soaked 2 pairs of underwear, I knew it was time to head to Labor and Delivery.

Labor was not fun. I was GBS positive and had needles and tubes galore stuck in me. My epidural had worn off some by the time I started pushing, so that was pretty much the most painful thing I've ever experienced. It was all worth it though. After an hour and 15 minutes of pushing, Evelyn Rose was born. She weighed 6 lbs. 15 oz. and was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. I never knew I could love someone so much. She is my whole world and I have no clue how I ever lived without her.

Brian and I are so in love with her. It's crazy how much she's grown in the past 8 weeks. She's starting to coo and smile. That smile just melts my heart. I can't wait to watch her grow and learn even more.


No comments:

Post a Comment